Friday, January 23, 2009

Who Falls For That (Kenne)bunk?

Another trip down to York to pick up mail from my mail drop there. 3 pieces this month. En route Pandora and I stopped in Kennebunk to look at the falls now half frozen. I think this is the Mousam River. Some of the falls were flowing and some were frozen over. Here it looks like a low flying cloud got stuck in the ice as well.

click on the picture to get a better view of it


In York we visited the Nubble Lighthouse. It was a bit tricky clambering over the rocks on the shoreline because they were covered in snow and you couldn't see the spaces between them... Still, Pandora wanted to get as close to the water as possible and I let her up to the point where we both (within seconds of each other) started slipping on the sea spray frozen on the rocks. Most of the photos I took there this time are canted to one side. The result of my arm being tugged at by the Go-Dog.

On the way out I took the usual Route 1, but on the way back I took a side trip on Route 9 in Wells. I stopped at the first (of several) segment of the Rachel Carson Wildlife Refuge. Another hike through snow covered trees with a view of a multi-layered frozen waterway headed for the ocean. There were two elder women snowshowing along the one path. Not a very long hike, but Pandora loved it.

I missed the turnoff for Goose Rocks beach after I got through Kennebunkport due to paying more attention to a police car set up for nabbing speeders. But it was probably just as well as by the time I got back to 295 it had started snowing and the flashing speed limit signs were on to tell everybody to drop their speed to 45 on the highway.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You are getting lots of very interesting snow pictures. I love seeing them along with all of the cool wildlife pictures.

    ReplyDelete