Saturday, January 15, 2011

Lone Star State of Mind







Many years ago, after college, but before meeting Carrie, I went cross country on a bicycle with only my cat Pete to keep me company. I had plans to meet up with several people during the journey, staying at their places long enough to rest and visit, but somehow the two folks I was going to see in Texas weren't around when I got there. I was fortunate to run into a couple who owned some land in Texas and invited me to stay at their place while they toured the Mexican border and tourist dollars during the summer.



First picture is Petronius, my travel buddy. Second is the mobile home I stayed in while I was in Texas. The couple in the picture are just neighbors. The guy on the right, Manfred Franke, and his wife Marisol (not pictured) were my hosts. The guy in the cap was Crenshaw I think.





The trailer was on a 50 acre lot in the middle of nowhere, 5 miles from the nearest paved road and 13 miles from the nearest store, a convenience store I got a job at. Got it easily enough because I was not a local "cedar-hacker" and looked to have more than an ounce of brains.















My trip in to work (borrowing the Franke's car) was always interesting. I saw lots of wildlife. These are all actual pictures I took on my commutes.


































































Yes, even the zebra. There was a wild animal park in the area and they didn't always stay on their property.

No comments:

Post a Comment