Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Dark North

Arizona is far enough south that it doesn't need daylight savings time. On those summer days when it was light from 5 in the morning to passed 8 at night I'd have been happy to have given some away! Moving north I knew we'd be seeing the effect of the change in latitude to the amount of daylight we had. Sure enough, getting off from work at 5 in the evening it was around sunset in October. Now with daylight savings in effect I'm driving home in the dark. Not my favorite thing to do since it makes the day seem longer. I can't adjust my hours because they're determined by the milk delivery schedule, as proven today when we were finished with our assigned work by 1, but I was nickel-and-dimed until 5 by tasks cropping up whenever a truck came in.

3 comments:

  1. I think you are confused. Daylight Savings Time is in effect from the second Sunday in March until the first Sunday in November. It has just ended, not begun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could very well be right. I've spent 30 years in AZ not having to use it, so the distinctions was lost to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just fell back here in Washington and it's definitely different than Oklahoma at this time of year. We're getting dark about 5 pm now and I'm told soon it'll be pushed back to 4 pm. I do like the sunnier mornings, however. Makes it easier to get out of bed somehow.

    ReplyDelete